Beginning in December 2013, non-visa status immigrants who are not eligible for a Social Security Number may apply for a TVDL. The TVDL will serve as a valid driver’s license and allow the person to purchase affordable auto insurance. Applicants must schedule an appointment at a designated Secretary of State facility.
- Valid for driving purposes only
- Valid for 3 years
- Must schedule an appointment at a designated Secretary of State Facilty to apply
- TVDL will be mailed (usually within 15-20 days) after the application is verified
- Applicants can’t drive until they receive their TVDL
- Must have proof liability auto insurance for the TVDL to be valid
- Must complete Verification of Residency form
- Must pass written, vision, and road exam
Read our TVDL application guide for more information on how to apply for a TVDL or Visit the Illinois Secretary of State website, and remember to purchase your auto insurance first! Enter your zip code to begin your quote and print your proof of insurance in minutes.